This morning we left Tillamook with about three dozen of other small sports-fishers. The Tillamook River bar was tame, Tillamook Coast Guard deemed it unrestricted, and since this is Columbus Day, the boat people were out in force.
Some of these small boats seemed quite scary to be out on the big ocean. Not sure what would happen to these boaters if the bar was restricted. So it's a gamble for them to know how long to fish, yet be able to reenter port when the weather turns, but before the bar is restricted. You can see the exodus of small boats in this 10 X speed video.
The ocean is nice today. The wind will increase this afternoon. We plan to be in Newport just after 2PM. Today's forecast is:
TODAY...N WIND 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES N
3 FT AT 4 SECONDS. W SWELL 6 FT AT 14 SECONDS. SECONDARY SWELL W 3 FT AT 9 SECONDS.
The BIG story out here happens starting Wednesday evening. A gale with winds to 35 and seas to 17 feet is expected for Wednesday night, Thursday and Friday. We plan to be in Crescent City Harbor by Wednesday early evening. If the weather forecast doesn't improve within about three days of arriving, we'll consider renting a car and heading home for a week or so.
We're off Cape Fowlweather and the Cape is not living up to its name today, thank goodness.
|Rocky Creek Bridge at Cape Fowlweather, Oregon|
|Yaquina Head Light|
We arrived in the Port of Newport at South Beach Marina. It was a nice sunny day, the wind blew a bit more, but the Yaquina River bar was easily passable. Tomorrow we leave at 7AM for Coos Bay. Roger. Out....