Tuesday, September 4, 2012

#32 - Port McNeill to Anacortes: The End of Our 2012 Alaska Cruise

On Friday evening, August 24th, we borrowed the Fuel Dock van and picked up crew Dick Squire at Port Hardy airport.  Dick is the perfect crew having owned and operated some 40+ large boats through the years.  He and his crew aboard Seagate, an Offshore 54, accompanied the Wild Blue on our first Alaska Cruise in 2008.  We have crewed for each other many times over the years.

On Saturday, we got an early start in the dark hours of the morning in order to catch the flood tide down Johnstone Strait.  The wind was down and flat seas greeted us again.  We motored for 10 hours pushing against a 5-knot current at upper Rapids in Okisollo Channel before setting the hook in Octopus Islands.

Sunrise in Johnstone Strait

Sunrise over Alert Bay, Cormorant Island

Alaska Ferry Columbia northbound in Johnstone Strait

Market logs destined for the saw mill

A unique Coast Guard fishing vessel?  So do they fish to feed the Canadian CG?

M/V Sin or Swim passes Wild Blue in Johnstone Strait.

Otter Cove just south of Chatham Point offers a close anchorage to Johnstone Strait.  Here M/V Surfbird enjoys this quiet bay.

On Sunday we pushed hard again leaving at first light to make slack water at Surge Narrows.  Flat seas, calm winds and sunny skies are now filling these days, the opposite of the 2012 Alaska Summer.  After 8 hours we tied up at the Port of Pender Harbor docks.  

On Monday we moved early yet again towards Vancouver's False Creek. Now the barometer had fallen and the wind was wound up a bit sending good-sized ocean chop directly at our course.  These waves crashed on the bow, slowing our progress and salting down the boat.  We eventually made Quayside Marina at 2PM.

Salt water splashes aboard.

On Tuesday in the dark morning hours we un-docked bound for the United States port of Anacortes, Washington.  Sunny skies and flat water continued for the day.  We entered Cap Sante Boat haven in Anacortes for US Customs inspection at 2PM.  The border agents were clearing passengers at the ferry terminal so we relaxed until they arrived at 4PM.  For once US Customs decided we weren't likely smugglers and didn't do an onboard inspection.  We continued on to Skyline Marina tying up at 5PM to end our 2012 Alaska Cruise.

It's been a great summer cruising with family and friends and we're already looking forward to a few winter cruises and the 2013 Alaska Cruise.

The End of our 2012 Alaska Cruise.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for doing the blog again this year. Your photography is exceptional and the narratives are entertaining and informative. As a future cruiser I feel like I will be much better prepared having been on the trips with you. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

    Alan Muskett